FOTW beschäftigt sich mit der Wissenschaft der Vexillologie (Flaggenkunde).
Alle auf dieser Website dargebotenen Abbildungen dienen ausschließlich der Informationsvermittlung im Sinne der Flaggenkunde.
Wir distanziert uns ausdrücklich von allen hierauf dargestellten Symbolen verfassungsfeindlicher Organisationen.
Last modified: 2012-08-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: chambly | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Ivan Sache, 15 August 2011
The municipality of Chambly (24,996 inhabitants in 2011; 25.11 sq. km) is
located in southwestern Quebec, 25 km south-east of Montreal. Chambly was
named for Captain Jacques de Chambly (d. 1687), commander of a garrison of the
Carignan-Salières Regiment. In 1665, the King of France commissioned Chambly
to build a wooden fortress at the foot of the rapids of river Richelieu.
Chambly was subsequently appointed governor of Acadia (1673-1677), Grenada
(1679-1680) and Martinique (1680-1687). Expected to stop the Iroquois raids,
Fort Saint-Louis, mostly known as Fort Chambly, became the center of a
European settlement. Burned down in 1702, the fort was subsequently rebuilt
with stones in 1709-1711. Fort Chambly was taken in September 1760 during the
English conquest of New France; expelled by the Americans in October 1775, the
English took over the fort again in June 1776 and kept it until the end of the
War of 1812. Decommissioned and abandoned in 1851, Fort Chambly was restored
by Joseph-Octave Dion (1838-1916), who lived for 35 years in the fort. After
Dion's death, Fort Chambly was transferred to Parks Canada. In 1920, the place
was registered as the Fort Chambly National Historic Site of Canada. The
Chambly Canal, built in 1843 to bypass the rapids of river Richelieu, is
another National Historic Site of Canada.
On 18 October 1995, the Towns ("Ville") of Chambly and Fort-Chambly merged to form the City ("Cité") of Chambly, renamed Town ("ville") of Chambly on 19 November 1980.
http://www.ville.chambly.qc.ca - Municipal website
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/qc/fortchambly/index.aspx - Fort Chambly website
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/qc/chambly/index.aspx - Chambly Canal website
The flag of Chambly is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle and the writing "Ville de Chambly", in black letters, below the arms. On 27 October 2010, the flag of Chambly was handed over by the Mayor of Chambly to Captain Philippe Chagnon. The captain brought the flag to the Kandahar Camp of the Canadian Peace-Keeping Force in Afghanistan, where it was flown from November 2010 to June 2011. After the safe completion of his mission in Afghanistan, Chagnon brought back the flag to Chambly, where it was officially handled back to the Mayor on 9 August 2011, during the celebration of the Peace Keepers' National Day.
http://monteregieweb.com/main+fr+01_300+Le_drapeau_de_Chambly_de_retour_au_bercail.html?JournalID=25&ArticleID=714994 - "Journal de Chambly", 12 August 2011 (article)
http://monteregieweb.com/main+fr+01_300+Le_capitaine_Philippe_Chagnon_apporte_le_drapeau_de_Chambly_en_Afghanistan.html?ArticleID=669354&JournalID=25 - "Journal de Chambly", 2 November 2010 (article)
Ivan Sache, 15 August 2011
Hosted by: Handy-Shop.de und Fanshop-Online.de
Tip: Animated GIF Flags / Fahnen / Flaggen