FOTW beschäftigt sich mit der Wissenschaft der Vexillologie (Flaggenkunde).
Alle auf dieser Website dargebotenen Abbildungen dienen ausschließlich der Informationsvermittlung im Sinne der Flaggenkunde.
Wir distanziert uns ausdrücklich von allen hierauf dargestellten Symbolen verfassungsfeindlicher Organisationen.
Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: gellicum |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Jarig Bakker, 26 Nov 2004
Ms. Lieke Straates, an employee of the Geldermalsen municipality, confirmed that the Gellicum flag was an exact replica of the arms, filling the complete field.
Gellicum was first mentioned in 983, as "Gallinchem". Later on it belonged to the van Arkel family, and in 1270 to Johan van Heukelom. c. 1300 a castle was built in Gellicum; in 1326 Gielles van Gellinchem became the lord of the castle. That family probably consisted of bastards of the van Arkel family, as it had the same coat of arms as the van Arkels with changed colors (van Arkel: argent two embattled fesses gules), while Gellinchem had: azure two embattled fesses or.
The castle of Gellicum was demolished in 1802. However the old arms can still be seen in the village, especially since it adorns the village flag, used on festive occasions.
This Coat of Arms is not to be confused with the arms adorning the pub "Wapen
van Gellicum": surmounted by a count's crown, per fess: a. quartered
one and four a cross; two and three embattled fesses; b. three cramps placed
2 and 1.
(no colors mentioned as it is in stone).
And since we're dealing with a small village it's not unlikely that
polderboard flag or Coat of Arms may pop up sooner or later...
Source: the Geldermalsen municipal
Jarig Bakker, 26 Nov 2004
A decent flag after all (half expected the Coat of Arms on blue...)
Stefan Lambrechts, 26 Nov 2004
Hosted by: Fanshop-Online.de und Handy-Shop.de
Tipp: Apple iPhone 8