FOTW beschäftigt sich mit der Wissenschaft der Vexillologie (Flaggenkunde).
Alle auf dieser Website dargebotenen Abbildungen dienen ausschließlich der Informationsvermittlung im Sinne der Flaggenkunde.
Wir distanziert uns ausdrücklich von allen hierauf dargestellten Symbolen verfassungsfeindlicher Organisationen.
Last modified: 2016-06-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: bangkok | krung thep maha nakhon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
2:3 image by Zach Harden, 30 May 2016
The Thai Ministry of Interior in 2000 displayed no flag for Bangkok (Krung
Thep Maha Nakhon) but only the seal. The city flag can be seen on a poster on
the city website. It has a monochrome white seal on a green background:
Description of the seal from the official website of the Bangkok Metropolitan Adminstration (BMA) :
"The emblem of the BMA represents a figure from Thai mythology, Phra Indra, the keeper of Amara-wadee, carrying his three-bladed weapon and seated atop a white elephant, whose four ivory tusks denote celestial status. The emblem symbolizes that the Governor of Bangkok, like Phra Indra, heads the capital and provides leadership to further the welfare of the city’s residents. The BMA emblem was first used during the term of office of Bangkok’s first Governor, General, Chao Phraya Ramarakop (1937-1938).The BMA emblem can be seen on BMA vehicles, at the site of public works and improvement programs, and wherever it is serving the public through numerous and varied activities. It is Bangkok’s‘Symbol of Service’."
Olivier Touzeau, 1 September 2012
image by Olivier Touzeau
The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration website mentions a city flag, but has neither an image nor a description of it. The image of the badge is shown on the site on a light green square, but it does not appear to be a representation of the Bangkok flag:
The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's emblem shows Phra Indr, the keeper of Amarawadee ("immortal" of ing") in Dawa Doeng, the highest of the seven heavens of Thai mythology, carrying his three-bladed weapon, Vajira ("thunder-mader"), and seated atop a white elephant whose four ivory tusks denote celestial status. (...) The City is provided with a four tusked elephant, an [animal?] which ordinarily accomplishes twice as much as its earthly brethren.
His Royal Highness Prince Naris graciously granted the emblem to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration during the term of office of our first Mayor, General Chao Phraya Ramarakop (1937-1938). You will see it on our city flag, on city buildings, on our motor vehicles and at the site of public works (...). It is Bangkok's Symbol of Service.
Here, we will use "Bangkok" when referring to the capital of Thailand. Actually, the official name of the capital is Krungthepmahanakhon Amonratanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilok Phopnopparat Ratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amonphiman Awatansathit Sakkathuttiya Witsanukamprasit. Rather loosely translated, this becomes The City of Gods, the Great City, the Residence of the Emerald Buddha Capital of the World Endowed with Nine Precious Gems, the Happy City Abounding in Enormous Royal Palaces Which Resemble the Heavenly Abode Wherein Dwell the Reincarnated Gods, A City Given by Indr and Built by Witsanukam. To the lighthearted Thai, the capital is Krung Thep.
Olivier Touzeau, 16 February 2000
Santiago Dotor asked, "Then, does "Krung Thep" mean "City of Gods"? And where did "Bangkok" come from?". On an old map of Fernão Vaz Dourado the capital of Siam is a huge area painted red, to include the old capital Ayutthya, the successor Thonburi (Chanburi) and Bangkok. In the 16th century the building of a big pagoda was started in Bangkok, and in the 17th century English, French and Dutch fought for the right to have a trading post there. The French won and built a fort there in 1687, which was demolished in 1688. It was a tiny fisherman's village in 1792, when it became the capital of Siam/Thailand. In Countries of the World, a 6-volume edition of c. 1930, p. 3628, one reads:
The capital is a narrow strip, mostly nothing but a mile wide, along the banks of the Menam River. It begins at or below Krung Tep, the Heavenly Royal City itself, and according to inhabitants runs up to Ayuthia Krung Kao, the Old Capital, 40 miles away.Krung Tep (etc.) would thus indicate the Royal City (like in Beijing) and the surrounding area Bangkok. If I remember correctly the name Bangkok or Bankok was the Chinese name of the place. (...)
Bangkok means "village of the wild plum". The name is derived from 17th century Western maps, which referred to the city (or town as it then was) as Bancok. This name was only superseded by Krungthep in 1782, and so the Western name has deeper historical roots. Source: 1993 Thailand, Indochina and Burma Handbook, Bath, England, 1992.
Jarig Bakker, 20 and 25 February 2000
The detail of the seal can be found at
Zach Harden, 30 may 2016
2:3 image by Olivier Touzeau, 1 September 2012
The national flag with provincial seal in the enter.
Olivier Touzeau, 1 September 2012
Hosted by: Fanshop-Online.de und Handy-Shop.de
Tip: Samsung Handy mit O2 Vertrag